Monday, February 11, 2013

Oysterfest 2013 ... rant and rave



Oysterfest happened.

The weather was absolutely gorgeous this past Saturday and good-hearted Atlantans flocked to Piedmont Park to enjoy the oysters, the music and of course, the libations.

We Southerners like it hot, and, at the slightest sight of spring, we go all out - and we're good at it.

For me, that meant throwing on a Lilly Pulitzer ensemble and telling myself that four-inch wedges were the appropriate choice for a day at the park.

They weren't, but they looked fabulous.

And for the more exuberant Oysterfesters that meant buying $10 beers, waiting in incredibly arduous lines and clamoring up a large hill to catch rays and dance to the sweet southern music.

It was a great day all in all, but I think I credit the fantastic weather and the eagerness of the crowd to savor it for the good time. With a $30 cover charge and steep prices for food and drinks AND the long lines, the event set-up seemed more like a hassle than a frolic to most.


Would my crew and I all go again? Absolutely. I'm pretty sure we got the best of Oysterfest and Oysterfest got the best of us.

But I learned a few things.

Your friends, both old and new, make everything marvelous - and that is priceless.

And as true as ever, Georgia slinked back into rainy weather the next day.

Gotta love our South.

Cheers darlings,

B

0 comments: