Friday, March 22, 2013

5 Things I'm Head Over Heels About Right Now

Hey everyone!!! Long time, no blogging.

Exams and traveling are done for now and I can get back to it. I thought that perhaps my current "Top Five" might be a fun post!

Without delay, these are the top five things that I just can't get enough of at the moment!!


 1. Green Tea: 


     Just about every morning we stop by our local Starbucks for coffee and tea. Now, I'm a huge fan of both, but lately green tea has been my go-to source for antioxidants and caffeine and tasty-goodness.

     At home, I'm left to my own devices when it comes to tea brewing. I usually prefer taking my tea hot at home (idk, it's comfy). I have been making the Tazo Green Ginger tea for when I'm getting ready or studying or whatever it may be. It's seriously probably my favorite green tea.

     Please let me know if you have other green teas that are good to try!! I don't discriminate, I try them all. And it must be said, my favorite hot tea to drink ever, especially in lieu of a latte, is Earl Grey. :)

2. Elizabeth McKay:

     Elizabeth McKay is a great contemporary brand that has what I like to call a "preppy-chic" esthetic. It's reminiscent of Tory Burch, but more traditional when it comes to clothing. With ruffly collars, sophisticated detailing, and beautiful fabrics, Elizabeth McKay is a brand you can from wear to work, out to play and to the sunny shores of Sea Island.

    Here are some of my favorites:

countryclubprep.com
elizabethmckay.com

     There are also pretty ruffled dresses perfect for a steeplechase event, easter or dinner. I just love wearing these; I feel put together without trying too hard. I think that's what I love about the brand, really. The relaxed, classy look is undeniably southern. The Elizabeth long-sleeved shirt (at left) is probably my favorite shirt in my closet.

     You can throw one of these shirts on with white jeans, or shorts, or tuck one into a skirt, or wear under a blazer and you immediately look chic. And the best accessory to go along with the shirt is a mimosa - who doesn't love that?

scoopcharlotte.com

     Where to find: In Atlanta, I would go to Tootsies (an institution) in the Shops Around Lenox as they have a great selection and Poppy's of Atlanta at East Andrews has Elizabeth McKay as well. If you're at The Cloister (lucky you), the Cloister shop always has fantastic pieces from the collection.

Online, I'd visit these places:
Country Club Prep
Tuckernuck
Elizabeth McKay

3. Detox Juice at Whole Foods:

     I used to creep around Whole Foods looking at the juice bar area (usually in the back) with fear. I didn't really understand the juicing concept and told myself I wasn't cool enough to walk up there. Now, I pretty much sprint to it.

Here's why:

    I truly swear by the benefits of detoxing throughout the week. It's so good for you, it's filling and you you receive the benefits of so many fruits and veggies without having to try hard at all. The Whole Foods in Buckhead had a "detoxifier" juice on the reg that, if you ask sweetly, (and pay $20), they will put in a half-gallon jug for you to take home for the week.

    That's four 16oz. servings of Detoxifer, or four days worth. It's awesome. There's grapefruit, lemon, apple, ginger and oranges in the drink. Admittedly, ginger takes some getting used to, but it's a sweet tooth fix that's SO good for you. It is perfect for that snack feeling you get in those weird lulls of the day and you can satisfy it while knowing you're being healthy and doing something good for your body.

 
4. Wedges:

     I'm one of those girls that really values the power of heels and I love wearing them, but not unnecessarily. I'd rather be comfortable and I know that flats are usually not that appealing, particularly when you're going out. That's where wedges come in. They are your one stop shop for everything spring-summer. I love them.

     Who wants to wear heels to a summer concert? Or an outdoor wedding/cocktail/derby/party that calls for sundresses (ew, grass on your heels)? Who wants to fall down walking from Five Paces to 8 Traxx?

     Not this girl.

Here are my picks so far:

Nordstom. Pelle Moda "Dana'" Wedge in coral

Zappos. Lilly Pulitzer "Picture Perfect Wedge

Tory Burch "Ida" Wedge

Michael Kors "Giovanna" Wedge

Piperlime. Steve Madden "Haywire" Wedges

Kate Spade "Dabney" Gingham Wedges


Aren't they pretty? I'm of the mind that you need mainly a neutral pair (or two), a pair you can take wherever and not worry about, and a cute pair that's a different bright spring color.

Oh my goodness, I love. :)


5. Quinoa:

     My boyfriend makes fun of my quinoa eating because it's so weird, I know and because I eat it so much. Well, sorry I'm not sorry. <3

     Quinoa is a whole power grain that is just awesome. As a partially Italian gal, pasta is easily one of my favorite foods. Thanks to quinoa I eat pasta once a month rather than once a week.

My quinoa, arugula and avocado salad. 
     If you haven't cooked quinoa, it's seriously the easiest thing and it's very versatile. I like to cook it in low-sodium chicken stock to add flavor and I generally make about 2 servings at a time. I'll make it for dinner as a side one night and then throw the rest in a spinach or arugula salad the next day. It's so yummy.

Honorable Mention: The Luna Peanut Honey Pretzel bar. It's so delicious, it's sold out every time I try to buy one. It keeps hunger at bay, is usually my breakfast along with a banana or a grapefruit (and an iced green tea) and I just love it.

Cheers, darlings.
B

0 comments: