Friday, April 5, 2013

Big Event? Here's How I Prepare

So it's mid-week and you look at your calendar and realize you have a big event this weekend requiring you to look ultra-glamorous. 

You freak out.

What's a gal to do? Where do you start? There's so much to do to prepare for a big event on the weekend and usually, there's just too little time to do it.

This is precisely what happened to me this week. I magically remembered on Wednesday that my law school barrister's ball is this Saturday. 

Fabulous. No dress, no plan, no way is this happening.  

Um, of course it's happening. I was born for balls and ruffles and twirling. I'm doing this.

And even though I spend an embarrassing amount of time pretending I'm Kate Middleton (I've been admiring her since I was like 15) my princess status didn't come with a beauty entourage to help me out.

So here's what I do, it's like a checklist and hopefully it will help if you ever have something special planned:

1. Get your dress/ball gown/ hot little number picked out first. It is the base for all other primping decisions. If you're me, that's 3 days before the event apparently.

2. Begin detoxing/eating outrageously healthy. I don't care who you are, you look better in a dress when you keep the extra bloat off. I don't drink wine and keep it to detox water and hot tea. It's not that bad, y'all.

3. Appointments. Are you planning on styling your hair? That's great. Make sure you have all the hair products you need for the big day. If not, it's good to call ahead and make an appointment. If you were thinking about doing to Drybar, hopefully you've already made an appointment. Your salon likely has people to do blowouts and styling, too. 

Are you doing your own makeup? If not, make an appointment. Woo Cosmetics does a GREAT job and I've always like going to MAC at the mall to have my makeup done. MAC artists know how to apply makeup for photographs. The products are formulated for photography. Be prepared to buy like $50 of product.

4. Get your glow on. If you're not afraid of the harmful UV rays, go to the tanning bed 3 days out. It takes 10 minutes, just get in there and get out. Done. Go to the tanning bed 1-2 times before the event. This week I'm doing one tanning sesh, then another the following day and a spray tan (cocktailing).

5. Prepare to doll up. Look through your makeup - is there anything special you need? Eyelashes and glue? A particular eyeshadow or concealer? Make sure your foundation matches your tan. I needed to get a few things, so I went to Woo and the drugstore to get all that ready since I'm doing my own makeup.

6. Shoes. Nothing will wipe that pretty smile and beautiful glow right off of you like painful shoes. If you're grimacing and your date has to army-carry you around that's just not hot. We don't do that. Get you some comfortable shoes, at any price. My only requirement is that they are comfortable. They have foot petals, too, that can make a shoe cushy. Generally, platform heels are more comfortable than heels without platform bases.

7. Play Princess. Two days out, enjoy a mani, pedi, eyebrow touch-up. Whatever it is you need done at a spa/salon. If you're doing some sort of body treatment (body wrap) it's best to do that the afternoon or evening before or morning of the event if you have time. I like to get nails done early in case they mess up or if the color isn't right, you have time to remedy it. Also, it's just a pain to worry about stuff drying when you are getting ready. If you are getting a spray tan, get a pedicure and exfoliate prior to getting the spray tan.

8. Day of the Event. Keep detoxing. Eat things that are easily digested or that are light. Work out, or go for a brisk walk. Anything that makes you feel empowered and beautiful. Do that. Even if that's sitting on the couch. About 3-4 hours before the event, I start getting ready.

If you're wanting to learn from a professional to do your own makeup, or just learn some tips or how to achieve a particular look, do not hesitate, watch these videos from two AMAZING artists: Pixiwoo. I stumbled on their videos one night and have referenced them ever since. I tend to prefer to do my own makeup, I also like doing my own hair for most things. Nothing beats a blowout, though. But I've done just about everything under the sun to prepare for an event so I think it's all a good idea.

9. Spray on your favorite scent, make sure your clutch has everything you need: lipgloss, cash, cards, concealer, mints, etc.

10. Have an amazing time! 

Cheers to looking beautiful and turning heads, darlings.

Happy Friday!  Go Braves!

B

0 comments: