Thursday, November 7, 2013

How I Get Prepared for the Holiday Season

If you're like me, the upcoming barrage of holiday cheer that our commercial-retail, light-brite, peppermint mocha driven Christmas world shoves upon us each year can be a little overwhelming.

Down South, we are taught from the time we wear our first OshKosh outfit that Christmas is a time for joy and praise and peace ... a time for family gatherings and a time to rest to remember those things that are most important. 

That sentiment seems to always get lost in the midst of retail catalogs, eggnog and cyber monday, doesn't it? 

Sad, but true.

While maintaining perspective, I also get excited about the shopping and the cooking and the punch bowls. We all get to pin cute DIY wreathes and look at dogs in Santa costumes.

I listen to the "Holly" station on my satellite radio. It's all so fun.

Here are a few things I do to be a little bit organized, a little more humble, and a little bit better at giving than receiving.


1. Go to church every Sunday.

I would be remiss not to put this as number one. It goes without saying Christ is the reason for everything, at least in my life. Although I fail miserably, a lot, I always try to make mass and keep my prayer life strong.

During Advent, I make every service. I always do. Hearing the Christmas story each Sunday reminds me that the items that will likely be under the tree (and I'm grateful and happy for, no doubt) won't always "be".

They fade, they break, they go out of style, they don't sustain you like your relationship with God.

They make you happy, they help you out in life, they have a purpose. But not the ultimate purpose.



2. Plan meals ahead of time. Thanksgiving, holiday parties, Christmas brunch, lunch or dinner.

That handy dandy thing called Pinterest is so genius and popular because it's so darn helpful. Use it!

Write down all the events that you're attending or hosting. Figure out how many people will attend (or guestimate) or if you will need to bring a dish or a bottle of bubbly.

Then look up recipes in advance, pin them, and write out the grocery lists. This not only removes ALL stress of figuring out what to make, but it allows you to budget for the items you will have to buy.

By choosing your menu ahead of time, you can try out new recipes before the big event, too.

I know this seems like common sense, but I'm positive that ALL of us intend on doing this but don't actually do it in advance. 

To be frank: We pin, we don't PLAN.

Make a commitment to yourself and your AmEx and do it now. There's still some time!

3. Invest in Cardstock/Stationary EARLY

If you already have your Christmas cards purchased, it is all the more likely you will send them out - ON TIME!

Same with thank you cards. If you spend the money and get them, you will use them. I'm sure of it. 

On your downtime (if you even have any), such as a commercial break during your favorite show, or when you are being driven somewhere, write down everyone you need to send a card to. Having the list will help.

It will make you feel good, feel connected, feel accomplished and feel like the adults we all are.

I plan to make my list this week.

Because southern ladies are ALL about their stationary ... and glistening Christmas cards.

4. Go to your Gmail. Create a Folder titled "Christmas Coupons".

Christmas really starts in like, uh, let's say August. EVERY retailer I have EVER purchased ANYTHING from seems to remember that purchase (*cough* Abercrombie and Fitch *cough*) and they send Christmas coupons and reminders of upcoming sales ... like in August.

It's ridiculous.

However, I've started to drag those emails into my Coupon folder. I mean, right now Brooks Brothers is having a HUGE sale. I've already picked out stuff to buy my honey for Christmas. 

I remembered because I set reminders linked to my Coupon folder.

Every time Sephora, Saks, Williams Sonoma, or Harry and David (etc) send you a "Enjoy 20% or free shipping" email, drag it over. It will save you time and money because you will know where to go.

You don't want to buy dad's Yeti cooler at Dick's when Onward Reserve is having a better discount.

Also, craft stores such as JoAnn's and Michael's honor one another's coupons. So, when you're buying wrapping paper or decor, you can access those coupons from your email on your smartphone.

Unfortunately, Frontgate doesn't EVER have discounts ... sorry mom.

5. Drink as many peppermint mochas as possible.

Because you're going to need it after making all those lists, pinning those pins and taking the kids from A to B. 

Plus, the cups are pretty.

Cheers!

B



0 comments: